My father is a US citizen and I just turned 18 years old, can I still apply and obtain my citizenship ?

I would have to be naturalized since I was born outside of the USA. He was born in the USA and resided in the USA for 21 years.

Adults who wish to claim U.S. Citizenship, please submit the following to the Consular Section (American Citizens Services) of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate nearest to your residence.


1.Citizenship Questionnaire (57KB PDF)
2.Form DS-11, completed but not signed.
3.Form DS-4079 (109KB PDF), completed but not signed.
4.Applicant’s official Birth Record, showing complete information on the parents
5.Applicant’s Identification, such as a driver’s license, student I.D. or Canadian passport.
6.Evidence of Applicant’s Name Change (if applicable)
7.Evidence of U.S. Citizenship of Parent(s)
U.S. passport, Certificate of Citizenship/Naturalization, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a U.S. birth certificate bearing the impression seal of the vital records office that issued it and including the date of filing. If you do not have a certified copy of your parents’ birth record, write to the vital records office in the state, county, or municipality where your U.S. citizen parent or parents were born. Many records from the turn of the century are not readily available. If none of the vital records offices listed above have a record, keep the replies and try to obtain secondary evidence, such as a census record or a baptismal record showing date and place of birth. All correspondence from these places must be submitted with your application.
Note: If you were born after May 24, 1934, to two U.S. parents, submit evidence of U.S. citizenship for both of them.
8.Certified copy of the Parents’ Marriage Certificate
9.Documentary evidence of termination of any previous marriages of either parent (i.e. divorce decree, death certificate, etc.), if applicable
10.Evidence of your parent(s)’s residence/physical presence in the U.S.:

•If you were born between Jan. 13, 1941 and prior to Dec. 24, 1952, to one U.S. citizen parent, you will need to present evidence of the periods during which your U.S. citizen parent resided in the U.S.
•If you were born on or after Dec. 24, 1952, to one U.S. citizen parent, you will need to present evidence of the periods during which your U.S. citizen parent was physically present in the U.S.
•If you have two foreign-born U.S. citizen parents, you must present evidence that at least one of them resided in the U.S. prior to your birth.
Note: Physical presence is not the same as residence. For example, if a person was residing in the U.S., but left for vacations or schooling abroad, the person was not physically present in the U.S. during those periods of time.
•If you were born after Jan. 13, 1941 and your U.S. citizen parent is still living, have that parent complete the Affidavit of Parentage and sign it before either a U.S. Consular Officer or a Notary Public.
•If your parent is deceased, submit the death certificate and other evidence, as above.
Submit two recent, identical color passport photographs, two inches by two inches, as described on the back of form Form DS-11 Passport Application.
$135.00 U.S. funds in the form of cash or money order. PERSONAL CHECKS CANNOT BE ACCEPTED. We also accept all major credit cards. We do not have the facilities to pay by debit card.
Please Note: Copies of documents certified by notaries cannot be accepted.

All documents submitted must be original records, bearing the official seal of the issuing authority.

Submit Your Completed Questionnaire

Submit your completed Questionnaire in person, together with Form DS-11 and the passport application fee, at the U.S. Consulate serving the region of Canada in which you reside.

You are a natural-born US citizen as your dad meets the residency requirement of the US Department of State to transfer his US citizenship to his children at birth. All you need is apply for a US passport at the nearest US consulate.

What the consulate wants to see from you is three things:

1) Proof that your father is your biological father. You do that by showing your birth certificate with his name in it. If they want to, they can require a translation of it into English. Easy fix. You may get one right away, just to be safe.
2) Proof that your dad was a US citizen when you were born. You prove that by showing your dad’s birth certificate or his passport where place of birth is listed as being the USA.
3) Proof that your dad resided in the US for at least 5 years, 2 of which needed to be after his 14th birthday, before you were born. You can prove that by showing 5 of his income tax returns, etc.

I would suggest you and your dad go to the consulate together.

Okay, if you were born after Nov 14 1986 and your father has lived in US for at least 5 years, at least 2 of which were after him turning 14 then you’re a natural born citizen. Your father should’ve registered your birth at a consulate, however you can still get your citizenship acknowledge if you submit proof of the above.

It is not clear from you question where you reside. If you live in the US, it may be that you obtained automatic citizenship on entry. If so you can apply for a Certificate Of Citizenship. See the application form and requirements here:…

If you live outside the US and think you have a claim to citizenship, you should contact the US
embassy or consulate. The requirements for derivative citizenship are here:…

If he was born in the US he is a US Citizen unless he gave up his citizenship. As the child of a US Citizen you shouldn’t have a problem. Contact the the Immigration Service or US Embassy if you live outside of the US.

You don’t need to naturalize since you are already an US citizen.

You need to get your paperwork together for applying for an US passport.

You’ll have to go through the process as an adult, which means he’ll have to sponsor you with all the onerous requirements, including a five-year residency wait before application.

Do you have a green card? That is the first prerequisite to applying for naturalization.

If you are illegal, there is nothing you can do to ge ta green card or citizenship.

Does he admit to being your father?

Because what would have been easy last year, has just become a laborious process. It will be easier if he is sponsoring you.…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *